Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Thinkin' 'bout the Past

Do you ever have one of those moments where you become overwhelmed with how time has somehow slipped past you? All the people you once knew so well have become strangers and when you run into them it is like all of a sudden you feel like you can't really see clearly because you are confused about what the heck happened.

I had this moment the other day when I was at an engagement party for my cousin. This isn't about the bride or groom, it is about the bride's brother. I saw him and we both kind of had that moment that we just stared at each other for a moment and we exchanged the standard pleasantries. Before saying goodbye we hugged and in that moment, that small hug with my cousin (who I was actually taller than at one point but not anymore!) I was taken back to grade school. It was always me, him, and another 2 of our cousins. We were a force to be messed with. We were always there for each other, even when we became friends with other people.

But that was grade school...and more years than I would like to divulge have passed and we went from all being such a tight knit group to damn near being strangers. Which I am even more saddened by because we are family and we live fairly close to each other. Somehow in our adulthood we all became too busy for one another.

Why is is that we become so self consumed that we let go of things that mattered so much to us at one point in our lives? I get that people change, that is a very normal part of life. But I don't remember when it happened. When do we decide that people are just not going to be a part of our lives anymore? Is it a gradual change over time or does it happen suddenly?

No comments:

Post a Comment