Friday, August 19, 2016

Book Review: we were liars by e. lockhart

we were liars by e. Lockhart

I really don’t know where to start with this book. I mean the fact that I managed to read it within a couple of days should say something. I guess I can start with what the book is about and go from there.

I am going to try to do this without giving anything away. The story is told from the point of view of Cadence and she discusses her family that spends every summer on an island that her grandparents own. The “liars” are Cadence, Johnny, Mirren (who are all cousins) and Gat who is Johnny’s mom’s boyfriend’s nephew. Cadence goes through many summers and then summer 15 happens (the summer that all the liars are 15) and there is a terrible accident. Cadence then goes into trying to figure out what has happened because she has trouble remembering most things about that summer.

That is as basic as an overview I think I can give. I am not one to read the backs of books because I like to be surprised about what I am about to read. I had no idea what I was getting into when I was reading this book and I am happy that I didn’t because I probably wouldn’t have picked it up. I think that reading from Cadence’s perspective is not something I really care for, but that is more because YA perspectives tend to be teenagers who just won’t quit. I always enjoy the stories in the long run, but trying to read it is like scratching a chalkboard for me. However, Lockhart’s writing is absolutely poetic. This is what kept me reading the whole time. It was truly captivating for me. And it wasn’t just poetic in words but also in format which I enjoyed far more than I thought I would.


Overall though, while the writing style kept me reading this book it is the ending of it that makes me want to read more from Lockhart. It wasn’t what I was expecting and I was wondering where the story was going, but the ending really tied it all together. I was feeling too many feels by the end of this, and I’m not even mad about it. It is the kind of story that leaves you feeling a little numb inside and only really good books do that. Would recommend this to anyone and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment