Thursday, August 4, 2016

AReadersGuide: A Review of the July 2016 Owlcrate Box

Hello, I am Hanaa also known as @areadersguide on instagram. I am a bookstagrammer who will be guest posting here today. I am going to be doing a review of the July Owlcrate box. Owlcrate is a young adult book subscription box that gets sent out around the third week of every month. It cost $30 with shipping which usually gets a total of $34-$36, though it may be higher for international subscribers outside of America. You get a newly released hardcover book and 5-6 bookish items. Each month has it's own theme featuring collaborations with tons of bookish stores.

This months theme was Good Vs. Evil. Subscribers were sent either a good box or an evil box. I was (happily) sent the evil box.

In the evil box you receive;
-A Harry Potter themed  Funko Pop. Evil boxes had either Draco Malfoy (debatable if he is actually evil, in my opinion) or a Dementor, which I received. (The good box had either Luna Lovegood or Dobby)

-An AMAZING Star Wars themed necklace by Vector Engravings (@vectorengraving on instagram, check out his shop) the evil box had a Death Star and the good box had the Millennium Falcon.

-An Alice in Wonderland themed magnetic bookmark by Jane's Tiny Things. I received the Queen of Hearts, Alice was received in the Good box.

-An exclusively designed for Owlcrate sticker paying homage to Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff was made by Drop and Give Me Nerdy, the good received a quote from a hero in the story.

-And bonus goodies included a coloring book featuring some YA book covers, a signed bookplate from the author and as usual, a note written by the author.

-This month's book was This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab, who made her way to the best sellers list and many booktubers hearts with her novel A Darker Shade of Magic. The description the card OwlCrate gives is 'In a world where evil breeds literal monsters, no one is safe. When two kids from opposite sides collide, lines begin to blur and no one can be trusted. Who is truly evil and who is trying to rise above the darkness?' I am excited to dive into this book and I think the theme goes along perfectly with the description.

Overall, I was very pleased with this month's box, I love Star Wars, Alice in Wonderland/Disney, and Harry Potter. I have Illuminae and it is on top of my tbr so I was pretty stoked for that as well. The book choice was wonderful and they plan these things out months in advance, that along with the signed bookplate is pretty awesome. The notes are one of my favorite things to read because it is the author personally telling us something about the book; sometimes it is them talking about the struggles they went through with writing it or something interesting we need to know while reading it. I love that I am always surprised and it gets me to not judge a book by its cover because I never have to choose the book. I highly recommend this subscription box to anyone who wants to read more but struggles finding a book, or someone like me who is in a lot of fandoms but can't afford to spend tons on fandom merch. This can be a thing to do for your teenage kids, to get them into reading or something for adults who don't necessarily have the time to go looking for books.

That is all I have for you today, leave a comment if you would like monthly updates of my OwlCrate subscriptions, other than that I will be back with a few book reviews that will be much better written than this rushed mess.
Sending positive vibes your way,
-Hanaa

No comments:

Post a Comment